Spiritual direction is like panning for gold. A directee comes, and together we dip into the stream of their life … hoping to find a fleck or a nugget of pure gold.
~ Janet Ruffing, RSM
Spiritual direction is the art of contemplative listening carried out in a one-to-one trusting relationship or within a group of your peers. It is when one guide journeys with another person or group, listening to life stories with an ear for the movement of the Holy Spirit and offering prayerful response.
Spiritual Director Practicum Admission Process
- Successful completion of the Foundations in Spirituality course
- The completed application and required personal recommendations will be reviewed by Dominican Center's spiritual formation team
- An interview with the spiritual formation team to discern readiness to participate in the Spiritual Director Practicum
- An acceptance offer to the applicant
Spiritual Director Practicum Expectations
- Dedicated to a two-year formation course of study and practice
- Three modules each year that are framed around spiritual direction, Christian discernment, and adult development
- Active participation within a cohort made up of others participating in the course of study
- Complete required readings and a written integration paper for each module
- Practice spiritual direction with directees - practicum participants are recommended to offer spiritual direction to 6 to 8 directees each year
- Participate in individual sessions with a paired mentor who is a seasoned Spiritual Director for a total of nine meetings each year
- Continued development of a life of prayer and contemplation, and on-going review of a personal rule of life
- Extensive study of the Spiritual Exercises and Guidelines for Discernment of St. Ignatius of Loyola
- Attendance at annual four- or six-day directed retreat
Dates and Times – Spiritual Director Practicum Year I
The 2021-2022 Spiritual Director Practicum Year 1 program meets on Fridays from 9:00 am - Noon and 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm.
- September 10 and 24, 2021
- October 8 and 22, 2021
- November 5 and 19, 2021
- December 3 and 17, 2021
- January 7 and 21, 2022
- February 4 and 18, 2022
- March 4 and 18, 2022
- April 1 and 22, 2022
- May 6 and 20, 2022
Dates and Times – Spiritual Director Practicum Year II
The 2021-2022 Spiritual Director Practicum Year 2 program meets Friday evenings, 6:30 pm - 9:00 pm; Saturday mornings, 9:00 am - Noon; and Saturday afternoon, 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm.
- September 17-18, 2021
- October 15-16, 2021
- November 12-13, 2021
- December 10-11, 2021
- January 14-15, 2022
- February 11-12, 2022
- March 11-12, 2022
- April 8-9, 2022
- May 13-14, 2022
Spiritual Director Practicum Tuition
- Tuition is $2,000 for each year.
- Application fee of $25 is required
- Tuition includes instruction and facilitation by the Dominican Center Formation Team, individual mentoring sessions with a seasoned Spiritual Director, and materials provided before each session
- Fees do not cover cost of required textbooks
Practicum Overview, Applications, and Recommendation Forms
Please download, review, and complete and return the following documents:
Until it is possible to gather in person, the Spiritual Director Practicum will meet via Zoom. Help is available for those new to this technology. You will receive details regarding Zoom prior to our first meeting in September.
Aquinas College in Grand Rapids, Michigan gives credit hours to participants completing the Spiritual Director Program at Dominican Center at Marywood. The Graduate Theological Foundation in South Bend, Indiana, also accepts credits from Dominican Center’s Spiritual Director Program.
Questions and Information
If you have questions or need more information on how to become a Spiritual Director, please contact: