Building on our connected, common humanity, Foundations in Wisdom offers the opportunity to explore spiritual practices, expand resources, and participate in shared experiences that renew one’s spiritual foundation, as well as the resolve to live in this world with compassion and to respond with contemplative service.
Martin Luther King knew that God and God alone gives us the interior resources to bear the burdens and tribulations of life, especially those that come as we fulfill our call to serve others and stand for what is right in this world. Had he not known how to move from action back into prayer - how to tap into a deeper Source than mere human activism - we would have lost him to fear and discouragement; the forces of evil would have prevailed, at least for a little while longer.
- Ruth Haley Barton, Author
MLK Jr. and the Soul of Leadership
All faith traditions and wisdom teachers are rooted in their commitment to social justice and to those living in the margins of society. The givens of our faith include being good stewards of the earth, empowering the vulnerable to live with dignity, and standing in equity with all peoples.
This spiritual formation experience guides participants toward a deeper understanding that will awaken and strengthen a commitment to justice.
- Companion with wisdom teachers who came before us - Dorothy Day, Howard Thurman, Monseñor Oscar Romero, Mother Teresa, Rosa Parks, Teresa de Avila, St. Francis of Assisi.
- Companion with wisdom teachers still with us - Richard Rohr, Joan Chittister, Malala Yousafzai, Pádraig Ó Tuama, Margaret Benefiel, Thich Nhat Hanh, Pope Francis, Desmond Tutu, the Dalai Lama, Pema Chödrön, Don Goergen, OP.
- Companion with prophetic wisdom yet to come.
- Journey near and far to witness and participate in the work of those making a difference in the lives of others.
- Develop resources for cultivating the practices of meditation and contemplation in today’s world.
- Share one’s story and have one’s story be heard through the art of holy listening and conversation.
Cost: $600, plus book fees. For information regarding a payment plan or scholarship, please email Margarita Solis-Deal, Dominican Center director.
View session dates and more information
View Dominican Center's Refund Policy
This program has reached capacity, please call 616.514.3325 to be added to our waiting list!