“Spiritual direction is like panning for gold. A directee comes, and together we dip into the stream of their life … hoping to find a fleck or a nugget of pure gold.” – Janet Ruffing, RSM
Spiritual direction is the art of contemplative listening carried out in a one-to-one trusting relationship or within a group of your peers. It is when one guide journeys with another person or group, listening to life stories with an ear for the movement of the Holy Spirit and offering prayerful response.
Spiritual Director Practicum Requirements
- Be approved for admission into Spiritual Director Practicum through applications, letters of recommendation, and interview process with Coordinator for Dominican Center for Spirituality.
- Successful completion of Foundations in Spirituality.
- Active participation in the practicum.
- Completion of three modules each year focused on Spiritual Direction, Christian Discernment, and Adult Development.
- Required readings and a written integration paper for each module.
- Meeting directees for spiritual direction sessions outside practicum meeting times (six to eight directee sessions over the two-year practicum).
- One-hour meeting with an individual spiritual director mentor once a month outside practicum class time for a total of nine meetings each year.
- Continued development of a life of prayer and contemplation, and on-going review of a personal rule of life.
- Extensive study of the Spiritual Exercises and Guidelines for Discernment of St. Ignatius of Loyola.
- Attendance at annual four- or six-day directed retreat.
Dates and Times – Spiritual Director Practicum, Year I
Class meets Fridays, 6:30 pm – 9:30 pm, and Saturdays, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm, on the following dates:
- September 9 –10, 2016
- October 7 – 8, 2016
- November 11– 12, 2016
- December 9 – 10, 2016
- January 13 – 14, 2017
- February 10 – 11, 2017
- March 10 – 11, 2017
- April 7 – 8, 2017
- May 12 – 13, 2017
Dates and Times – Spiritual Director Practicum, Year II
Class meets Fridays, 9:00 am – 3:00 pm, on the following dates:
- September 9, 2016
- September 23, 2016
- October 7, 2016
- October 21, 2016
- November 4, 2016
- November 18, 2016
- December 2, 2016
- December 16, 2016
- January 6, 2016
- January 20, 2017
- February 3, 2017
- February 17, 2017
- March 3, 2017
- March 17, 2017
- March 31, 2017
- April 21, 2017
- May 5, 2017
- May 19, 2017
* Year I and Year II alternate dates and times each year.
- Practicum fee is $2,000.00 for each year.
- An application fee of $25.00 is required in addition to program fee of $2,000.00.
- Practicum fee covers cost of tuition and materials.
- Fees do not cover cost of required textbooks. Books are available at Dominican Center Bookstore.
- Practicum fee covers meals and snacks.
- Fee includes monthly individual mentoring/supervision sessions.
Practicum Overview, Applications, and Recommendation Forms for Downloading
Please download, review, and complete the following documents:
Dominican Center at Marywood, Grand Rapids, Michigan
Questions and Information
If you have questions or need more information on how to become a spiritual director, please contact: